Friday, November 6, 2009

Family History

A couple of weeks ago my Grandpa Jim came to visit and he brought a lot of old negatives that he had recently found. These negatives were all from his mother's (my Great Grandmother's) childhood. I took them with a smile from him and began scanning them into photoshop.


These were shot in Marin, and in many instances I can recognize the geographical location! The greatest difference between now an then is so clearly the undeveloped marshland that my ancestors used to swim in regularly.



These photos are a treasure for a number of reasons; even though they are of my family, I think anybody could enjoy these relics.




The entire collection which is still growing can be found in my "Access" tab.


On a separate note, this is my first real experience with scanning negatives.
I used a flatbed hp scanner and at 2400 dpi. The scans took some time, and I noticed that blown out highlight information would not be captured. This differs from the darkroom because you could always burn a highlight in if you exposed it long enough. A flatbed scanner just scans the whole negative at one brightness, and the same time for all portions of the negative.

I'm actually pretty excited about the results, but I wonder if a higher quality dedicated negative scanner would pick up highlight information more effectively. I'm sure I'll find the answer some day as I still feel shooting film and scanning the negs produces the best product.

No comments:

Post a Comment